Special Raw Vegan Brownie

Today was another one of those days - studying at home all day, stuck inside because Melbourne's weather is so crazy bipolar right now I am too scared to set foot outside the confines of my room. I usually spend a good 2 and a half hours doing solid study, and then when I get started on the food blogs and websites, I find it hard to stop.
Today, I managed came across this awesome raw vegan brownie recipe and was inspired to appropriate the recipe and try it out for myself!






What you will need:
1 cup of pitted prunes
1/2 cup of oats
1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 used yourtea 'tinytea' teabag (or you can use any herbs you like) - this is what makes these brownies special!
2 tbsp of coconut oil
Handful of goji berries

Method:
1) To start off, you will need to infuse the coconut oil with the teabag herbs. You can use any herbs you like, but tinytea uses a special blend of Chinese herbs which aid in digestion and promote weightloss so I thought it would be handy to use them! Bring about 2 cups of water to boil in a saucepan, and then add the coconut and herbs from the teabag. Reduce to a simmer and allow it sit over the low heat for at least an hour.

2) While your coconut oil is infusing itself with your special herbs, you can prepare the remaining ingredients. As you can tell from my photos, I didn't grind mine down to a powder like the recipe I was inspired by suggests you to, but this is simply because I like a bit of crunch and texture. However, you are completely free to appropriate this recipe however you want to! In a food processor/grinder, grind down the walnuts, prunes, and oats to a powdered form. If you prefer to have a more refined texture, do them separately and then combine them in a larger bowl with a wooden spoon.

3) You may find that the mixture is still a little dry at this point. Once the majority of the water has evaporated from the pan, separate the oil from the herbs using a strainer. Then add the oil and the vanilla extract to your brownie mixture and combine. Press the mixture into a bread tin, top with goji berries, and then place it in the freezer for about an hour to set!



A deliciously raw and healthy alternative to a family favourite. You can do many different variations of this of course - next time I want to add coconut and add peanut butter!
Also, if you prefer to the cooked version, you can place it in the microwave for a minute before eating - a tip from my sister!

0 comments:

Post a Comment